[lbo-talk] How radical was Derrida? (was 'does anyone read poststructuralism anymore?')

Eubulides autoplectic at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 20:23:52 PST 2009

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Anyway, Ted's whole argument is the classic Moral Argument for the Existence of God*, which is invalid, and which has been known for hundreds of years to be invalid, unless you adopt an idealist/realist metaphysics, the adoption of which would have to be argued for first before making the moral argument and which I doubt either Marx, Husserl, or St. Whitehead would accept.
>
> *I.e. universal moral judgments require an objective moral criterion, and this we all call god.

I'm not sure Ted's claim falls into the Kantian camp; it may be the older neoplatonic argument for axiarchism, of which the Euthyphro problem is the germ. John Leslie's "Infinite Minds" brings the tools of analytic philosophy to bear on the issues; a review which also points to another review may be found at:

http://prosblogion.ektopos.com/archives/2006/06/can-theism-answ.html

-- Electricity made us angels, money made us fools [Bill Nelson]