[lbo-talk] Recipe for "privatizing" schools

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 06:59:51 PST 2009

[WS:] It reads a bit like a conspiracy theory, but in reality there is high popular demand for charter schools, especially among ethnic minorities concerned about quality of public education. These folks often cannot afford private schools, and see charter schools as an affordable alternative.

The main problem with public education system in this country is twofold: local funding and the one size fits all approach. Local funding means that schools in poor districts are underfunded. One size fits all means that every student is forced to take the same standardized curriculum and the same standardized tests - regardless of his/her scholastic aptitude and interests. That discourages many students who have benefited from alternative curricula (vocational, arts, etc.)

The only way to have an alternative curriculum in this country is private or charter school. For minority students, this has an added benefit of insulating them form negative influence of their peers.

However, an often missed fact in those debates is the occupational position of teachers. Private or charter schools typically mean lower pay, no unions, and employment at will. I am fairly certain that the Repug assault on public education is motivated by a desire to break teacher's unions and downgrade teaching profession rather than to help the kids, especially minority kids.

For that reason, I am really "on the fence" on this issue. On the one hand, I think that the one-size-fits-all philosophy behind public education sucks, and charter schools do offer an antidote to it. Otoh, I do support teachers and thier unions, and I think charter schools would be very detrimental to both.

Wojtek