[lbo-talk] How radical was Derrida? (was 'does anyone read poststructuralism anymore?')

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 12:12:02 PST 2009

Asad Haider

The puzzle is that as far as I can see Derrida did not have an apolitical impact in France; actually he and his theoretical moment shook up the French republican/colonial ideology and its epistemological manifestations. ^^^^^^^ CB: Another puzzle: How did a "a liberal with boring politics" shake up the French republican/colonial ideology ?

^^^

In the US the same texts were (often) used to avoid politics.

^^^^ CB: If he was a classical Marxist, the texts never would have made into the US curriclum.

^^^^^

Maybe our mainstream ideologies are just more radical than those of France.

^^^^^ CB: Je le doute.

^^^^^

I think rationalism is anti-theory, actually. And I don't think the US ruling class inculcated the masses with Derrida....

^^^^^ CB: Well, theory is rational, anyway.

They let bunches of US intellectuals get jobs teaching it.