[lbo-talk] Conversation with Derrida

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 9 18:28:20 PST 2009

Alan Rudy wrote:

> if the explanation occurred under a new subject line, that'd be swell, too.

It will sooner or later. We had spent the day sitting around in airports, I was tired, & didn't feel like inventing a subject heading just then.

Some years ago there was a big discussion on this list of SUV drivers. If I remember correctly I was the only one on the list to defend them -- most of them are members of that potential collection known as the U.S. working class, and I dislike then and dislike now the free dthrowing around of contempt for this or that group or individual (often on the grounds of "intelligence" or lack of it) on this list. And just recently someone, in reference I think to evangelicals and jundnies, referred to them as mouthbreathers.

I get sick and tired of judgmental posts grounded in "merit" (whether moral or intellectual).

Carrol