[lbo-talk] Recipe for "privatizing" schools

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 10 08:22:46 PST 2009

On Nov 10, 2009, at 1:27 AM, wrobert at uci.edu wrote:

> If I remember correctly, charters tend to not to do as well as public
> schools in most areas...

There's a problem comparing them because parents who choose charters are probably more involved and motivated than those who don't. So that means the home environments are different - and home environment is a far stronger influence on educational outcomes than school quality. I saw a study a while back that tried to correct for the selection bias, and found that charters made no difference.

> Interestingly, the former administration
> supported both charters and the testing regimes which have
> introduced a
> particularly unproductive homogeneity to the public school system.

The current administration does too.

Doug