[lbo-talk] Recipe for "privatizing" schools

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 10 11:21:55 PST 2009

CREDO's response, Hoxby's reply, CREDO's final response:

<http://credo.stanford.edu/>

The lead of their first response:

<http://credo.stanford.edu/reports/CREDO_Hoxby_Rebuttal.pdf>

> The memo, “A Serious Statistical Mistake in the CREDO Study of
> Charter Schools,” by Caroline
> Hoxby, does not provide any basis whatsoever for discounting the
> reliability of the CREDO study’s
> conclusions. The central element of Dr. Hoxby’s critique is a
> statistical argument that is quite unrelated
> to the CREDO analysis. The numerical elements of it are misleading
> in the extreme, even had the
> supporting logic been correct. Unfortunately, the memo is riddled
> with serious errors both in the
> structure of the underlying statistical models and in the derivation
> of any bias.
>
> The technical aspects of these issues are described below, but the
> overall description of the
> problem is straightforward. She considers estimation of models that
> are very different from those
> estimated by CREDO and derives conclusions that are completely
> irrelevant to the CREDO results.

Hoxby is an enthusiastic partisan of charter schools. But her NBER paper I posted earlier claimed results of "0.09 standard deviations per year of treatment in math and 0.04 standard deviations per year in reading." I.e., rather tiny.

<http://www.nber.org/papers/w14852>