[lbo-talk] Recipe for "privatizing" schools

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 12:37:11 PST 2009

[WS:] Carrol, your view on testing is water under the bridge, and I share them. Any test is geared toward culturally defined skill and it does not measure any universal human quality, such as "intelligence." There is a quite detailed and convincing argument on that in Stephen Jay Gould, *Mismeasure of Man* - so there is no need fo me to repeat what's there.

What I would add on my own is that US testing often has a particularly nasty quality of artificially induced stress through taut timing. That is, scholastic 'aptitude' test measure how fast a person can work through relatively simple multiple choice problems in an artificially fixet period of time. People with anxiety disorders do miserably on such tests, even though their 'scholastic aptitude" may be high.

Furthermore, the purpose of most 'aptitude' testing is to provide a pseudo-scientific excuse to deny someone access to education or services - not to diagnose anything. Gould made that point quite clearly in his book, when he discussed the orogins of the Stanford-Binet IQ test. This, however, does not mean that all testing falls into this category. There is a number of tests used in special education designed to diagnose specific type of learning disability and to provide appropriate services.

In sum, standardized testing sucks because it is used to manufacture excuses for political decisions, and because it is a money-making business in the US. However, there ia also plenty of good testing designed to actually help people.

Wojtek