[lbo-talk] Paid sick leave

JC Helary brandelune at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 06:39:27 PST 2009

Regarding a comparative approach to health, it was funny today to see on TV 2 totally different views on H1N1 vaccination.

1) France 2, one of the French national broadcasting channel showed mostly people who did not want to take the vaccine, including medical personal in hospitals, and interviewed pediatricians that actually advised _against_ taking the vaccine. The only opposing voice was a doctor in a big public hospital that was mentioning efforts were made toward hospital staff to convince them of taking the vaccine. The minister of Public Health had to show off in a vaccination center to take the vaccine so as to encourage doubting people to do the same...

2) ABC News had a sequence about how people were in line to get the vaccine because makers were late in delivering the product. Everybody looked like they wanted to take the vaccine and a commentator blamed the makers for taking chances with people's lives. He actually said their would be people dying because of that.

It was amazing how the contrast played.

Le 12 nov. 2009 à 22:33, SA a écrit :

> [This sounds pretty good, a priori.
>
> But what's up with the fascist-sounding name: "The Healthy Families Act"? It sounds like something the Nazi Minister of Family would have come up with. The bill applies to everyone, so why invoke only families in the title? I've become increasingly aware of how fascist the lexicon of mainstream American political discourse sounds. The slogan of the Vichy regime was "Travail, Patrie, Famille" - it sounds like just another presidential inauguration speech.]

Jean-Christophe Helary