[lbo-talk] the politics of food

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at usyd.edu.au
Thu Nov 12 12:44:57 PST 2009

Shag wrote:

>i just made an apply pie crust with lard. effinawesome.

Yes, it must be said, whatever science is saying about its nutritional composition, pastry with lard makes a great pie crust. But I still bear deep personal scars that I call "lard" and "dripping" so I almost never make it. I feel the same way about adding salt at the table. Class certainly has something to do with those scars.

Food is a pretty fantastic way to think about politics because it makes it hard to do so without thinking about people's actual lives and practices.