[lbo-talk] the politics of food

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Nov 12 13:53:34 PST 2009

On Nov 12, 2009, at 4:07 PM, SA wrote:

> Shane Mage wrote:
>
>> recognize that destruction of the Dumbocrats as a party is the
>> absolute precondition for the emergence of a meaningful political
>> Left in the USA.
>
> Okay, let's do a thought experiment. Suppose we wake up tomorrow...

Thought alone will not destroy--or build--anything. To destroy the Dumbocrats as a party is to make it impossible for them to win elections. For that to happen, a social process is required--and that process will shape the post-Dumbocratic politics. If that process consists of their electoral clientele deserting them because it has finally awakened to their betrayals, that former clientele can be expected also to be looking to its representatives in the Labor, Women's, Latino, Gay, Black etc. movements to provide a political alternative. And that is what would open the *possibility* of a meaningful political Left in the USA. A possibility that will not exist as long as the Dumbocrats are still able to pose as lesser evils able to win elections and pay off the leaders of those movements with lucrative jobs and trivial, ultimately meaningless, pseudo-reforms.

Shane Mage