[lbo-talk] Politics of food

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 08:48:26 PST 2009

Is it just me or does the whole discussion of how food reveals your position in society not seem like a big distraction from the more important issue of the production and distribution of food? I was actually pushed when doing my masters in sociology studies to shift from a political economy of the production of food to the consumption end. My data simply revealed that among elites food is seen as a symbol of social position while for everyone else it served as a cultural link to the past or mealy as sustenance. Needless to say, I quickly abandoned the research for more interesting, and IMO more important, work on the relationship between changes in food production and class dynamics. I still don't understand the interest in consumption side analysis. Maybe someone can clue me in to its importance. And yes, I have read Bourdieu. Yawn.

Brad