[lbo-talk] Early notes on Cusset

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 13 13:54:56 PST 2009

At 12:30 PM 11/13/2009, RicardoStarkey at aol.com wrote:

>These really are fascinating paintings. I particularly like _Mount
>Sainte-Victoire_, with the figures of Baudrillard, Barthes and Derrida.

And the hits just keep on coming.

Here's one called Myth of Depth:

(this blurb is from an art prof's site)

The man walking on water is Jackson Pollock, while in the boat (from left to right) are Kenneth Noland, Helen Frankenthaler,Mark Rothko, Clement Greenberg pointing to Pollock, Arshile Gorky holding the life ring, and Robert Motherwell looking down into the water with, perhaps, some skepticism.

http://www.evl.uic.edu/davidson/CurrentProjects98/ET_VisualInfo/VE_MythofDepthpage132-33.gif

This one is called Derrida Queries DeMan. It has them fighting on the edge of a cliff made of text. It looks like an illustration from an old Sherlock Holmes book of Holmes fighting with Moriarty:

http://www.casbs.org/~turner/art/lakoff_images/derrida.jpg

I stumbled across this looking for these links. There's a bunch of interesting paintings on the theme of American suburbia here:

http://www.inkydinkyworld.com/burbs/burbss.html