[lbo-talk] Politics of food

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Nov 14 06:39:46 PST 2009

At 11:48 AM 11/13/2009, brad bauerly wrote:
>Is it just me or does the whole discussion of how food reveals your position
>in society not seem like a big distraction from the more important issue of
>the production and distribution of food? I was actually pushed when doing
>my masters in sociology studies to shift from a political economy of the
>production of food to the consumption end. My data simply revealed that
>among elites food is seen as a symbol of social position while for everyone
>else it served as a cultural link to the past or mealy as
>sustenance. Needless to say, I quickly abandoned the research for more
>interesting, and IMO more important, work on the relationship between
>changes in food production and class dynamics. I still don't understand the
>interest in consumption side analysis. Maybe someone can clue me in to its
>importance. And yes, I have read Bourdieu. Yawn.
>
>Brad

heh. well, I can certainly see why you are an ardent fan of Walter Benn Michaels. This is a position he'd thoroughly support. History is bunk and culture is bunk eliciting a big fat yawn.

This is why, I think Eric, you might want to flesh out your position. It sounds as if it's wavering toward the manly man real politics stuff. I know that's not what you mean, but I can see how it's misinterpreted.

shag