[lbo-talk] the politics of food

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Nov 14 06:49:16 PST 2009

At 10:09 PM 11/13/2009, Carrol Cox wrote:

>shag carpet bomb wrote:
> >
> > At 01:52 PM 11/12/2009, Asad Haider wrote:
> > >It is likely that lard fell out of favor
>
>And really good pie crust was gone for ever.
>
>Also decent donuts.
>
>Carrol

oh my google, this is so true. i'd never used lard in baking because, growing up, we were taught it was bad for us -- family heart problems. R mentioned his mother's use of lard and so i baked a pie with it and some butter recently. lord. awesome.

it's weird though, i just wrote a tribute to my ex mil and her cookbooks which she passed along to me. scanning through it, she never substituted lard. though she did use... Oleo on occasion, depending on the recipe. her asshole husband's toenail clippings too!

http://cleandraws.com/2009/10/31/i-love-my-ex-mil/