[lbo-talk] french love of thugs (with style)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Nov 14 14:59:31 PST 2009

On Nov 14, 2009, at 5:35 PM, shag carpet bomb wrote:

> The president's poor ratings came in the same week that Jacques
> Chirac, his predecessor, was ordered by French magistrates to stand
> trial on embezzlement charges.
>
> In the latest popularity survey, Jacques Chirac was voted the most
> popular French politician alive today.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/8359124.stm

Typical Limey frog-bashing. Chirac's popularity was low at the end of his term but has recovered thanks to three things: first the contrast between his stature as statesman and authority on African and Asian art vs. the squabbling dwarfs of the current French Right, Center, and Left, especially Sarkozy; second, the enduring memory of him (and Villepin) standing firm against Bush and Blair and the French Right on the Iraq War; and third, the fact that France was prosperous when he left office but Sarkozy's Liberal "reforms" have driven French government policy far to the right and the country into economic crisis.

Of course the Brit twit writing this falsifies the charges against Chirac, which have nothing to do with embezzlement but with alleged full-time political activities of municipal employees during his tenure as mayor of Paris. As we all know, nothing like that ever happens in a White Anglo-Saxon country!

Shane Mage