[lbo-talk] french love of thugs (with style)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Nov 14 18:42:13 PST 2009

On Nov 14, 2009, at 7:57 PM, Joanna wrote:

> Shane writes:
>
> "A few more notes about this idiocy:
> --in the mid-1930's the bank robber John Dillinger was the most
> popular person in America "
>
> But didn't that have something to do with the fact that a) he robbed
> from the robbers (kinda like today somebody robbing Goldman Sachs)
> and b) he burned mortgages so that banks were not able to repossess
> delinquent owners.

Sure. That was his style. But American popular culture has long celebrated above all thugs without style--the Jesse James's, Davy Crocketts, Andrew Jacksons, John D. Rockefellers. And now the semi- fictional Tony Sopranos. Our most recent thug-with-style, Bernie Madoff, will never become celebrated because he has the misfortune to be Jewish.

Shane Mage