[lbo-talk] Churchill in his own words

Peter Ward nevadabob at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Nov 16 13:32:28 PST 2009

What about the napalming* of occupied French towns after German surrender became apparent (an action Howard Zinn recounts taking part in in "Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train")? I suppose burning French civilians alive was just another morale booster?

By they way, something analogous happens when liberal-left-types discuss the Vietnam War. There is a fixation on war crimes committed against the official enemy (the North) whereas crimes committed against the "good guys" (the South)--frequently much worse--are conveniently ignored. In the case of South Vietnam soldiers could "shoot anything that moved", destroyed levies, napalmed, forced people into the cities etc. I think the reason for this habit is clear enough--who cares if you commit atrocities against a bastard.

*It wasn't called napalm then--I think they called it petroleum jelly or something.