[lbo-talk] why movies suck

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 12:21:19 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Gary Mongiovi <MONGIOVG at stjohns.edu> wrote:
> I'm curious about the criteria Doug & perhaps others are using to gauge
> quality.

Yeah, I didn't get how listing a bunch of movies and their box-office takes showed why movies suck, and I certainly didn't see how it constituted a "material investigation." Not that I disagree with the premise: Hollywood does suck. But not because a bunch of movies that were sequels and adaptations made a bunch of money. It sucks because it sucks. Is the argument here that if these big-budget things didn't get made, Quality Films would? Good luck with that. Look at the Serious Cinema it does make: The Notebook, Revolution Road, American Beauty, etc. Pieces of shit all. I'd much rather watch a Harry Potter or Batman movie -- at least Batman Begins; I thought Dark Knight kind of sucked -- than endure any of those.