[lbo-talk] more on why movies suck

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 17 14:00:02 PST 2009

At 01:37 PM 11/17/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>That's the way Hitchock did it
>
>Imagine him trying to get a movie made today!

That's a big problem that's mentioned in the Guardian article. People don't know the history of their own medium so they don't know what's good.

There's a big book called Conversations with the Great Moviemakers of Hollywood's Golden Age, edited by George Stevens Jr.

I remember one scene from the book where Stevens takes the guy he's interviewing, I think it was Howard Hawks, to the office of a young exec. The current exec begs the old guy's pardon and says he can't recall any of his movies right then. He asks for help but the old guy says he'd prefer to give the kid some time to think about it.