[lbo-talk] more on why movies suck

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Tue Nov 17 19:45:44 PST 2009

Joanna wrote:
> ... there are people (Arabs) who are more hated/despised than they are

That movie hits home hard in Joburg (where I lived 15 years before moving to Durban five years ago)... 'cause this problem just doesn't stop:

http://gallery.iol.co.za/v/iolnews/Xenophobia+attacks+16-11-2009/

They hate us, says Zimbabwean woman November 17 2009 at 11:43AM Natasha Prince Staff Reporter

Scores of De Doorns residents, most of them farmworkers, ripped down shacks belonging to Zimbabweans this morning, accusing them of "stealing our jobs".

The Zimbabwean families were forced to pack up their belongings and seek refuge in a community hall in the Hex River Valley town, which is about two hours from Cape Town.

As residents, armed with sticks and stones, raced through the Ekuphumleni informal settlement tearing down makeshift homes, police fired rubber bullets and used a stun grenade to disperse them.

Angry residents said they wanted the Zimbabweans to leave De Doorns and that local farmers were opting to employ the Zimbabweans ahead of South Africans.

One Zimbabwean woman, who was too frightened to give her name, stood alongside the N2, which runs through De Doorns, her belongings stacked beside her.

"They hate us because we work harder than them and we work every day," the woman said.

This breaking news flash was supplied exclusively to iol.co.za by the news desk at our sister title, the Cape Argus.

***

De Doorns quiet, calm - for now 2009-11-17 21:09

Cape Town - While there is still a police presence in De Doorns, the situation is calm and quiet, Supt Desmond van der Westhuizen said on Tuesday.

Earlier in the day, thousands of foreigners, most of them Zimbabweans and some from Lesotho, fled their homes after tensions flared up with locals who claimed that foreign nationals accepted lower wages and robbed locals of jobs.

Van der Westhuizen said most of the 3 500 foreigners who fled De Doorns are at a sports field and tents will be erected there for them to stay in.

Many others will be accommodated by farmers who they work for.

The immigrants will stay on the field for at least seven days.

The Western Cape department of social development will provide food for them.

Meanwhile, police are maintaining a visible presence in the township as some Lesotho nationals are still there.

Local residents earlier on Tuesday destroyed a number of shacks rented by foreigners and tried to prevent foreign nationals from getting onto the trucks of farmers coming to collect them for work.

Spokesperson for community safety MEC Lennit Max said that local officials settled on a temporary arrangement with locals to leave the foreigners alone.

A meeting is set to take place on Wednesday between councillors, disaster management, police and the farming community about the way forward.

- News24