[lbo-talk] more on why movies suck

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 17 21:42:28 PST 2009

He was more of a middling  functionary that a redneck cop, I think. Great movie, though.

----- Original Message ---- From: Joanna <123hop at comcast.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wed, November 18, 2009 6:20:09 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] more on why movies suck

Yes, I saw District 9 and thought it was pretty interesting....though I couldn't totally make out what it was about except for an "us" vs "other" plot.

What was interesting was that it was set in South Africa, where a bunch of aliens are stuck, unable to get back to the mother ship. A redneck cop inadvertantly turns into an alien and helps them escape, with the possible promise that eventually they will help him regain his human form.

I was hanging with a couple of black male friends who were each telling stories about how in their current environment, there are people (Arabs) who are more hated/despised than they are  and how weird it felt to them not to be in that role.

So I thought District 9 would pay some attention to that (w black & white united/disunited against the aliens)....but it didn't really do that.