[lbo-talk] Politics of food

brad bauerly bbauerly at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 06:44:30 PST 2009

> I'm guessing that "lifestyle activism" is a bad thing though I'm not quite
> sure why. Because it focuses on the consumer rather than the producer?
>
> I've made it a point to eat food I buy at the local farmer's market, and I
> have been very happy with the quality and with eating food that is in
> season. It makes the year more interesting.
>
> I'm also guessing that chemical-free, hormone-free food is healthier than
> the alternative.
>
> But since you're the one with the farming experience, let me ask. Why is
> this a bad thing?
>
> Joanna
>

> Alright, let me qualify that, it is not sufficient, but I too practice
lifestyle activism. I always have a hard time addressing this issue because it can be the way to a deeper analysis. However, often it is taken in the opposite direction towards an understanding of consumer sovereignty and the market as the site of social change. In my experience, and the source of my frustration, the people who want to do good in this type of activism have to make a sacrifice by paying higher prices or putting in time that many don't have an excess of (hairshirt activism). So it can become an elite project that then looks down on those who cannot afford the correct lifestyle. It is also dangerous in that it individualizes social struggles into personal choices. Like I said though, it is good when connected to a deeper, yes productivist, analysis.

Brad

PS. I checked and I was wrong on Federal farm status: it is any property that produces at least $1000 from ag products. State regs differ.