[lbo-talk] more on why movies suck

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Nov 18 07:46:30 PST 2009

Chris Doss wrote:
> Why would it be expected to be any different?

Because in Southern Africa, we have excellent traditions of regional solidaristic struggles against colonialism and apartheid. (The darkness of skin was one of the ways 'the other' is played within intra-African xenophobic conflict, contrary to the ANC's non-racial anti-ethnicist/racist ideology.)

> ... I thought District 9 was very good at this. It was obviously made by Africans.

I think the producer/director is a white Africans, one from Joburg. I haven't seen it yet. However, there is a huge negative backlash against the film for stereotypical portrayal of Nigerians. One reflection is here: http://www.zeleza.com/symposium/949

On the need for more structural analysis of the problem, here's a riff: http://dissidentvoice.org/2008/05/why-is-south-africa-being-torn-apart/