[lbo-talk] The Necrosocial

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 19 08:47:12 PST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 11:34 AM, Eric Beck wrote:

> The university steals and homogenizes our time yes, our bank accounts
> also, but it also steals and homogenizes meaning. As much as capital
> is invested in building a killing apparatus abroad, an incarceration
> apparatus in California, it is equally invested here in an apparatus
> for managing social death.

Oh please. Universities compared to what? Auto plants? McDonald's? The right hates universities because they provide some degree of freedom of thought and a certain hospitality towards renegades. Yeah, I know how awful they can be sometimes. But still a lot of good comes out of them. This sort of rhetoric is just overheated and self-indulgent whining.

Doug