[lbo-talk] the dark side of JMK

Matthias Wasser matthias.wasser at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 09:48:21 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 12:17 PM, farmelantj at juno.com <farmelantj at juno.com>wrote:

> I was thinking UMass Amherst, which
> has long had one of the most progressive
> economics departments in the US but
> their admissions requirements look
> much the same as you would find at
> most other graduate economics programs.
>
> <www.umass.edu/grad_catalog/econ/masters.html>
>
> Yah, they require calculus and a foreign
> language.
>
> Jim F.

Yeah, the same is true of the other relatively well-regarded heterodox programs (American, &c.) Calc I can actually handle, but it's not intuitive, like, say, statistics is, and even applying to an economics program, heterodox or not, would require taking night classes in linear algebra, which has considerable opportunity costs and improbable success.

Anyway, this is selfish and hardly germane, but if anybody wants to discuss this offlist - I know there are a bunch of academic types here no doubt brimming with avuncular wisdom - I'd be much obliged.