[lbo-talk] recipe

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Nov 20 19:52:13 PST 2009

Okay, asswipe, that's the way to fuck up a 17.00/lb cut of meat.

Screw potatoes. They resist the best meat flavors. You can sort of get around this with re-baked with cheddar, or whip up the classic sour cream (add some horse radish) and fresh chives. But then that doesn't go with the wine.

So start the rice first in a rice cooker. Use white and a mix of wild and white. Make something like a pilaf (lemon, garlic, parsley, wine, salt and pepper). Grind fresh spices including lemon peel in a mortar and pestle. Look it up lazy.

Get out a vegetable like fresh peas and get them out of their pods and cleaned. Steam.

Other variations include using a wok to stir fry a mixed vegetable like carrots, broccoli, bell peppers and shallots, maybe some tarragon. Use something like peanut oil, a super heated wok, toss and move around to get crispy edges. Add a small amount of water then some spice---just enough to create steam, and cover briefly to finish. You can also use sesame oil, just enough to coat the wok. Sesame oil, smokes at a lower temperature than peanut oil, so you get some smoke flavorings if you don't use any water or white wine.

What you want to do is weave a series of separate flavors around the meat, which means, using mushrooms, garlic, pepper, wine, bread, cheese and various vegetable combs. So figure that out first fuckwad before you waste too much fucking money on meat. And another thing, screw the supermarket. Go to a butcher shop where they work up their cuts off quarters and halves, instead of buying meat pre-cut. They will have extra fat and bones you can use. Meat is juicier and better when it isn't exposed to air and painted with chemicals to make it look bright red, stupido.

Starting with a rib-eye, buy it with the bone and whatever fat, cut off the bone and trim the fat and save both. The bone goes with other beef bones for stock or onion soup, asshole. Take the fat and juilienne (across the grain) into thin slivers. Next get out the garlic and crush and chop. Add fat, garlic and olive oil to a skillet. Yes the extra virgin shit (Spanish and Middle Eastern varieties have stronger flavor. I've got a full bottle of Greek at the moment.)

Cook up the garlic until light gold, now add three, four, five sliced mushrooms, medium thick slice, including the trunks. Turn heat down to slow slimmer. Add a mix of herbes du provence with lavender, Yeah lavender. Clean your ears and pay attention. Now fill in more olive oil because the mushrooms soak it up. Add some California Cabernet Sauvignon, just any decent drinking brand. Cab is a grape variety and is often mixed with other varieties like Merlot. BV if its over four years old is a good heavy smooth one, with smoke and some pepper, and fruit after taste. The French and Italians use the estate names and regions, so read your fucking wine book. Burgundy is a region, not a kind of wine. Chablis is a town in Burgundy, noted for its white grape varieties, so there are white burgundies. My favorite California brand is Louis M. Martini.

Check the mushrooms. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a separate plate and turn up the heat on the pan with no mushroom and garlic bits.

Take the meat, coat the outside with a little oil, cover with course ground pepper, and more herb du provence. Slap it a few times on each side to bury the spices. Fry shit out of it quickly. Let it turn crusty and dark brown. If you want it keep it rare, then make sure the steak is very cold before it hits the pan. Turn, of course. Pull it out whenever it's the way you like it. Medium rare is my favorite. Next put on a plate and put the plate in a pre-heated oven (220d/f), while you finish the mushrooms. Dump them back into the skillet, stir in more wine and scrape the pan to loosen all the goodies, now pour more wine, cover briefly. Pull the steak out, set plate on counter. Now take a portion of wild with white rice on one side or pilaf, next the cooked peas, now the steak. (Green beans with a little butter and garlic is another version. Pour the mushrooms and sauce over the steak and the rice. The steak is even better if you grill it over an open fire. That's the whole point to cooking the mushrooms and fat separately.

Pour out a glass of your favorite red and start.

This general recipe really makes a great prime rib roast. With the roast, I stuff it with garlic slivers, coat in herbes du provence and pepper. Course chop potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms. I trim the fat down to about 3/8". I cut up some of the fat and put in the roast pan. If there is too much I save in the freezer... I add potatoes and vegetables about half way through the roasting. Add some red wine to roasting pan, and some water. You can substitute rosemary for HdP. The trick with rosemary is to hand grind it down a little with a mortar and pestle. Don't use power. You can also take the roast dripping base, add prepared mustard like Dijon and mix with creamed horse radish, some more rosemary, and a little heavy cream. Cook down and skip flour as a thickener.

I even have a dusty bottle of A-1 on the top spice shelf for Max, if he wants it. A-1 is mostly made from what I just described. If you want tang, stir in some certified Molari Federzoni balsamic vinegar, with the mushroom sauce instead of the last wine addition.

This is a heavy meal and should have a light dessert like a simple vanilla ice cream, sugared orange slices (plus some Gran Mariner), and a cognac followed by an espresso. This is almost Cordon Bleu shit. So fuck you New Jersey or Chicago backyard steak hogs. Personally, I am having re-heated Fettuccini white sauce with baby clams and a white wine. This is actually better on the second day.

It's six-thirty and there are helicopters buzzing over head. That means the Wheeler occupation is probably getting busted.

CG