[lbo-talk] The Neoliberalization Of Higher Education: What’s Race Got To Do With It?

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Nov 20 22:55:59 PST 2009

Peter writes:

"A disturbing new trend that appears to be developing is the abandonment of serious eduction for the masses (in the US). Obama's threat to close down "underperforming" schools suggests the ruling class have decided a skilled, educated workforce is no longer need on a large scale. What is needed is gas station attendants and latte-makers. Of course, we will have some form of prison-like private institution to fill that gab that we can call school if we want..."

Absolutely. But this does have a bright side. Yes it does. The closing of the schools also means the closing of the brainwashing factory. The left could organize around free education. Maybe we can't take over the govt, but each one of us could teach one class. After all, you don't need to be in school eight hours a day to learn.

Why should the right own charter schools and home schools? Why can't the left organize around that stuff?

Joanna