[lbo-talk] The Neoliberalization Of Higher Educa tion: Whats Race Got To Do With It?

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Sat Nov 21 10:43:02 PST 2009

At 01:50 PM 11/20/2009, Alan Rudy wrote:
>On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 1:38 PM, c b <cb31450 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The first public education in the US was for the ex-slaves in the late
> > 1800's. When public education was won for them it was extended and won
> > for the whole working class...
> >

>Um, CB, you live in MI, the home of one of the two foundational land grant
>universities - chartered as such in the 1860s... and very definitely not for
>ex-slaves.
>
>Do I take it that you are talking about public primary and secondary
>education? If so, I have vague recollections of early public ed at that
>level in New England before the late 19th C (but I could surely be wrong).

heh. I think this is where someone might include these responses in a list of examples of white privilege. :)

he knows when public education was extended to people who weren't slaves prior to the late 1800s. he's saying that it wasn't truly public education until black people attended school. just like it wasn't much of a representative democracy in this country until until well after the end of Jim Crow -- and some people would argue it ain't much of a representative democracy now because the way we, in the u.s. do things, we manage to keep a lot of folks out of the polls via informal mechanisms.