[lbo-talk] The Necrosocial

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Nov 22 14:29:35 PST 2009

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> >perhaps you mean wordy?
>
> Yeah,in a bad teenage poetry kind of way. I'm sure anyone who's into
> reading and writing did something similar at one time or another. I
> did for sure (before tearing it in little pieces and throwing it in
> someone else's garbage. :-))

This is vicious. There are probably quite a few million people in the world who have interesting thngs to say who,if they attempt to write them down produce miserable prose. I see any stylistic criticism of a political statement not grounded in, first of all, a reasonable asessment of the barecontent, as reactionary. I had several students over the years who had interesting things to say about _books_ (they were not dyslexic), and who _orally_ could say those things in fluent and flexible prose, but who culdn't have written them downunder any circumstances.

Let me sugges that, in principle, the author of the Iliad might have be3en someone who could not have passed a Comp 101 course. (I'm assumng the poem was orallyh composed.)

This snobbishness abut prose style in a society that puts so much pressure on writing is really vicious.

I haven't read the piece. It may be nonsense or may have something to say, but I don't like to have it brushed aside by a preliminary emphasis on style.

Carrol