[lbo-talk] SEIU hates the Boy Scouts

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 23 08:45:17 PST 2009

Republican National Lawyers Association PO Box 18965, Washington, DC 20036 · (703) 719-6335 tel · www.rnla.org

For Immediate Release Monday, November 23, 2009

Contact: Michael Thielen (703) 719-6335 SEIU Stoops to Historic Low ACORN Partner & Obama Benefactor Attacks Boy Scouts

Washington, D.C. – Republican National Lawyers Association (RNLA) Chairman David A. Norcross today released the following statement in response to news reports that a Service Employees International Union (SEIU) labor boss attacked the volunteer, civic actions of a Boy Scout seeking to earn his Eagle Scout badge. Norcross points out that the SEIU and the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) are closely linked from an organizing and financial perspective. Both were early and active supporters of President Obama’s campaign.

“Just when you think ACORN and its friends in Big Labor couldn’t lose any more credibility, you read about a union boss – who is a member of the SEIU’s leadership – going after the honorable and commendable volunteer work done by a Boy Scout seeking his Eagle Scout badge. What has this world come to when corrupt organizations like ACORN and the SEIU – who are dependent on the U.S. government to sustain them – attack the civic contributions of our young people? Congress may be too unaware or too insulated to see what is happening in our country, but taxpayers are fed up with the outrageous acts of groups like ACORN and the SEIU, and those in elected government would be wise to stand up and speak out or they will answer to voters next fall.”

BACKGROUND:

“The Boy Scouts’ motto is: Be prepared. Who knew it meant preparing to defend themselves against union thuggery? Kids, pay attention: This is a teachable moment for all of you on power, politics and Big Labor’s culture of corruption. At last week’s City Council meeting in Allentown, Pa., a top official of the local Service Employees International Union chapter ranted about 17-year-old Scout Kevin Anderson’s park-cleanup work. To earn an Eagle Scout badge, Anderson devoted some 200 hours to picking up trash and helping clear a 1,000- foot walking path with fellow members of Boy Scouts Troop 301 of Center Valley. But SEIU’s Nick Balzano gave them hell instead of thanks. He asserted that ‘there is [sic] to be no volunteers’ since his union members were laid off. He then issued a witch-hunt threat: ‘We'll also be looking into the Cub Scout or Boy Scout who did the trails. We may file another grievance on that.’ Citing union rules, he gave the City Council, the Scouts and all potential volunteers an iron ultimatum: ‘None of them can pick up a hoe. They can’t pick up a shovel. They can’t plant a flower. They can’t clear a bicycle path. They can’t do anything. Our people do that.’ That’s right: Balzano was ready to bludgeon the Boy Scout because his gung-ho volunteerism posed a threat to the SEIU labor monopoly. The outrageous display of Boss Balzano’s union protectionism provoked a national furor.” (Michelle Malkin, “The Union That Hates The Boy Scouts,” New York Post, 11/21/09)