[lbo-talk] Internet's downside

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 10:42:25 PST 2009

"I've seen better evidence that kids are getting less exercise mostly because of urbanization and poverty. Those who go to schools that have sports and after school programs, and who live in neighborhoods that have parks that provide recreation programs get their exercise and their internet. "

Studies here trying to identify causes of childhood obesity point to * children being driven to school (no longer walking), * 'stranger danger' fears dissuading parents from letting their children play out * school authorities selling off playing fields to raise cash

On top of the stuff about the internet and television..

Myself, I can't help but think that the problem is mostly overstated. Sure, some kids are a bit tubbier than we were, but when I went to school, children were all super skinny, and hungry all the time.

(Western societies have only started to get used cheap food. When my mother taught in Bradford, West Yorks. in the seventies, there were still children with ricketts from undernourishment. There is bound to be some adjustment to cheap and abundant food. I am still amazed to see children leave food on their plates - I would never had done that as a child)