[lbo-talk] the internet's downside

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 12:02:13 PST 2009

Doug: 'James, you must really spend a little more time in the USA.' (and citing obesity stats in US).

Hey, I'm English. That Americans are lard-arses is one of our fundamental beliefs...

...along with the belief that you are all slave-owning Baptists, with sun-glasses, cameras and white podgy legs sticking out of your shorts, that your cars are too big, and you don't believe in anything, except free market economics and hanging people, especially ay-rabs.

Subbing to LBO I always hope that I will meet Americans I can admire, to dislodge my prejudices- which indeed I do - except that these same admirably urbane and sharp Americans then go to to tell such terrible stories about their countrymen that all my English snootiness is wholly reinforced.