[lbo-talk] SEIU hates the Boy Scouts... and so do I

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Nov 23 12:39:43 PST 2009

In the US, the Boy Scouts prohibit atheists and gays from joining. A few years ago, the US Supreme Court ruled that the Boy Scouts could prohibit atheists from joining on the grounds that they were a private organization, despite the fact that the organization was chartered under an act of Congress, the POTUS serves as its honorary head,and from the beginning it has been the beneficiary of all sorts of government largess at the Federal, state, and local levels.

(The Girl Scouts, as I understand, allow both atheists and gays to join).

Jim F.

---------- Original Message ---------- From: "James Heartfield" <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Subject: [lbo-talk] SEIU hates the Boy Scouts... and so do I Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:21:50 -0000

In Britain the scouts have a reputation for Royalism and Empire-loyalism that they have long tried to live down. My girls go to the Woodcraft Folk - much to my embarrassment - so as not to have to salute the Queen. Other groups like the Boys Brigade (Methodist-backed) took off for the same reason: that Baden-Powell's scouts could never shake off their origins as a campaign to get Britons fit for the army.

A Glasgow from a catholic background I know told me of the time that he joined the wrong scout-group, and was in shock at the Orange Lodge banners and histrionic singing of the national anthem at every opportunity. A friend let him into the secret that there was another, Catholic and Irish Scout group that met down the road. He transferred and was bemused to find that the Scout master there quietly mumbled the national anthem at the end, while all the boys cleared up, ignoring him.

I think the scouts were on the side of the Whites in the Russian revolution...

____________________________________________________________ Franchises for Sale Be your own boss - Buy a franchise. Franchises starting from $7K. http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=j64D4zCbu1iQeW0vaGj_WwAAJ1DoEMrytxsVXKlEh0tvqeWlAAQAAAAFAAAAADMzsz0AAANSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUzCQAAAAA=