[lbo-talk] the internet's downside

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at usyd.edu.au
Mon Nov 23 14:23:41 PST 2009

Well I more or less mean the opposite of that. I don't think you can function culturally without stereotyping, not because they save time but because there are limits on what we can know/do directly and experience specifically. That we don't have enough time is only a small piece of what makes stereotyping inevitable. You just can't communicate with nothing but specificity.

Small children learn stereotyping fast for just that reason but culturally so much of what we do, both the unpleasant things and the pleasurable things, deploy or depend on sterotypes.

The important thing is to know that we hold them and pay attention to where they turn up what we do with them.

Catherine (must get some work done now)

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org on behalf of Andy Sent: Tue 24/11/2009 09:10 To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] the internet's downside

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Catherine Driscoll <catherine.driscoll at usyd.edu.au> wrote:

> NY is actually my favourite place in the world that's outside Australia and quite a few of my closest and oldest friends are American. So it'd be nice to say I don't have stereotyping prejudices about Americans but I completely do. Then again I have them about Australians and the English as well. One of the things about stereotypes is that it's pretty hard to function with out them.

Or, as The Onion t-shirt puts it: stereotypes are a real time-saver.

-- Andy