[lbo-talk] The Necrosocial

Bhaskar Sunkara bhaskar.sunkara at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 09:45:28 PST 2009

Fair enough. But as someone who has participated in direct action occupations in the past six months I'll make it a point to make some photocopies of George Orwell's "Politics of the English Language" to pass around to whoever is writing these communiques (if they can put down the Debord) just in-case my anarcho-liberal comrades are actually trying to draw people into political activity (versus participating in a subculture of protest). That being said the alternative to this politically questionable ultra-leftistm seems to be either total depoliticization and apathy or the politics of the cult of Obama. The UC actions have drawn in a wider support group than the NYU action from earlier this year, because of the tuition increases and cutbacks, but the idea that occupations will become "generalized" and spread to wider society and eventually lead to enough of an insurrection to bring about a gift-economy is beyond delusional. Passing around this might be a good idea too: http://www.marxists.org/history/etol/writers/slaughter/1960/10/leadership.html