[lbo-talk] wineheads, soldiers, loud mouths, and riffraff

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Tue Nov 24 09:52:46 PST 2009

> On Nov 24, 2009, at 7:29 AM, shag carpet bomb wrote:
>
>> Which would be another reason why we might not want to flush culture
>> and history down the toilet as WBM want to do.
>
> On the advice of my mental health consultants, I'm going to retire
> from this battle, so this will be my last word. Perhaps, in your zeal
> to find the bad quotes in The Trouble With Diversity - and I don't
> like Michaels' stuff about Wal-Mart, for obvious reasons - you missed
> the fact that the first chapter begins with the story of Homer Plessy,
> of Plessy v. Ferguson fame, who deliberately violated Louisiana's
> racial segregation law to provoke a legal challenge. The chapter goes
> on to talk about the history of racialization in American life, and
> about the role of culture as our current metric of racial difference.
> I.e., about history and culture, which you claim he's flushed down the
> toilet. The next chapter takes up the relations between blacks and
> Jews (and the definitions of blackness and Jewishness) over time, and
> discusses Birth of a Nation, The Turner Diaries, Mozart, Coltrane, The
> Strokes, and Jay-Z. And Emerson and Douglass.
>
> Perhaps you also missed the point that Michaels came to this topic
> through his study of American literature, especially of the 1920s.
>
> So, argue with Michaels all you want, but argue with what he actually
> wrote, not your caricature of it.
>
> My last words on the topic.

"Like the idea of diversity itself, history functions at best as a distraction from present injustices and at worst as a way of perpetuating them. Henry Ford said a long time ago, "History is bunk," the purpose of this chapter will be to show that he is right."

http://books.google.com/books?id=15v0KWRui6oC&pg=PA18&lpg=PA18&dq=%22history+is+bunk%22+%22walter+benn+michaels%22&source=bl&ots=XjGCBo2zdd&sig=g-YUnuWiI8hHuIlrNnzl0s-B3zU&hl=en&ei=RRsMS9K7E4avlAf97ZmiBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false