[lbo-talk] From another thread

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Nov 26 06:01:20 PST 2009

At 08:41 PM 11/25/2009, Dennis Claxton wrote:
>At 04:23 PM 11/25/2009, Chuck Grimes wrote:
>
>>Berube falls into the same problem as WBM in that he argues from the basis of
>>what was or wasn't going on in the novel (The Great Gatsby)....This
>>approach uses the fiction as a
>>social document.
>

>Imagine reading Shakespeare that way. You'd miss almost everything good
>about it.

are you agreeing with chuck or not? it's hard to tell.

awhile back we had a brief convo about the uses of fiction to make points about social life. i was complaining about the way I Am Charlotte Simmons was made to stand in for everything that goes on in universities today. It was, basically, the only evidence used to illustrate the idea of class reduced to culture. That's what I don't get: how can anyone justify using one book -- a work of fiction -- to illustrate the entire university system in the u.s. Is this normal in litcrit?

shag