[lbo-talk] An Idiosyncratic Perspective on the Economy and Economics

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Sat Nov 28 11:47:30 PST 2009

I still hope to incorporate data on the defunding of higher education.

Michael Perelman

--------

Doug had a long interview with Robert Meister who went over in pretty stunning detail what's behind the current budget, tuition, and UC finance policies. I can't reproduce the argument in detail. It more or less amounts to re-conceptualization of the university as a cost competitor with ivy league private schools, which in turn justifies raising tuition to any level. In turn then that money doesn't necessarily go toward improvements in education, but rather investments in brand. Another point he made was that tuition represented income which in turn was used to evaluating bonds, which were used to build income producing facilities like dorms and parking lot. Just crazy shit.

Robert Meister, current president of the Council of UC Faculty Associations

http://cucfa.org/

Here is Meister's article:

http://cucfa.org/news/2009_nov10.php

His article probably doesn't cover what you might want to use, but it is a shocker anyway. I can't read the labels on the charts so I tried the PDF, which helps.

Getting back to the corporatization business of higher ed, one place to really nose around for some nasty finds is the UC San Francisco Med Center. There is a whole confluence of all sorts of medical industry, drug companies, and federal grants, etc. Another, this time with the whole agricultural industry, genetic engineering, etc is UC Davis.