[lbo-talk] what's the matter with...

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Nov 29 23:14:55 PST 2009

As is already apparent, I know zilch about West Virginia, and so can't explain. I can make suggestions, but I have no ability to sift them. I was only taking issue with the generic idea that poor people voting anti-poor was so unheard of it cries out for explanation. My impression is it happens often. Most really rural areas are really red and relatively poor.

But clearly this doesn't explain West Virginia, which is a very interesting place.

So, on the ungrounded suggestion front, which I simply toss up for others to bat down:

> I don't know. I really don't have any original explanation to offer. I guess
> probably to some extent it's because Obama is black.

I just remembered that during the Democratic primaries, West Virginia actually got some outstandingly bad press on this issue. According to exit polls, to everyone's surprise, and ironically in view of its historical origins, it turned out to be the most racist state in the union:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-k-wilson/west-virginia-countrys-mo_b_101651.html

Here is also a famous related youtube set of interviews that got a lot of play at the time, including on the Daily Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODaxZSz3Awg

I have no idea if the people interviewed are representative of course. And "most racist" state in the country meant 20% of whites said race was a factor, which hardly explains 80-20 outcomes.

BTW, there's one bright and unexpected moment in that youtube I didn't see the first time because it's at the very end after I'd bailed, thinking I'd gotten the point: after the lifelong Democrat woman declares that she'd never support Obama, and that if Hillary doesn't win, she'll vote for McCain, her friend sitting next to her, who has been trying gently to contradict her all through the interview, says that in the same circumstances, she, a lifelong Republican, will vote for Obama. Although if Clinton won she'd vote for McCain.

People, gotta love 'em. They're never just billiard balls.

Michael