[lbo-talk] Swiss voters back ban on minarets

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 11:21:58 PST 2009

RE: By the way, I think most of us agree that majority rule is generally a very good thing.

[WS:] This statement is too general to my taste. It really depends on the institutional context. The majority rule is generally a good thing only if the Left is united and institutionally strong - otherwise the majority rule becomes a mob rule easily manipulated by reactionary elements, as it the case of the US, for example.

My views on the subject do not differ that much from those of Aristotle http://ancienthistory.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=ancienthistory&cdn=education&tm=75&f=00&su=p897.6.336.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/aristotle-politics1.html and, for that matter, Lenin's concept of vanguard party.

Wojtek