[lbo-talk] fresh punditry

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Oct 2 18:45:11 PDT 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 9:32 PM, ken hanly wrote:

> I think maybe Glenn Beck scooped you a bit on Chicago Olympic
> connections and Obama:

> She(Valerie Jarrett) gave up membership in the world's most
> exclusive club(The U.S. Senate) to be in this administration.
>
> So let's ask this reasonable question: Why would she do that? Well
> maybe some more information will help answer that. But we do know
> that Valerie Jarrett likes getting private money and giving it to
> public housing, because she said you need private money and
> incentives to make money.

Well he sorta has it backwards. The Chicago Olympics gang were looking to get HUD money to subsidize private development.

<http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/article.pl?article_id=32423&seenIt=1

Chicago 2016 hunts fed cash By: Paul Merrion September 28, 2009 Chicago and the Obama administration are exploring ways the federal government can bolster the city's bid for the 2016 Olympic Games with financial support for the $1-billion Olympic Village.

Crain's has learned that senior presidential adviser Valerie Jarrett and Lori Healey, president of the Chicago 2016 committee, met this month with top officials of the Department of Housing and Urban Development to discuss financing options for the village, the single biggest project — and question mark — in the city's bid.

The main hurdle facing Chicago is coming up with a long-range plan for an Olympic Village that is commercially viable while meeting objectives of existing HUD programs that could be tapped for funds, such as low-income housing tax credits and grants or loan guarantees for community development, affordable housing or housing for seniors....