[lbo-talk] larry ellison cuts loose

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 11:43:40 PDT 2009

It IS funny, HE is funny... the rant is great but it left me feeling a little funny...

The class-, region-, and sector-based nature of this stuff, however, is staggering.

I teach this generation of, purportedly, tech-savvy 18-22 year-olds... and significant numbers of them are flummoxed by Blackboard, competely scared out of their wits by Google Docs and just can't seem to wrap their minds around blogging for a class.

Some of this is related to the students' location in the rust belt, rather than within BosWash or San Di-Ang-Jos-Fran or SeatPort, but a great deal of it seems to be that their schools, parents and peers tend not to provide them mental maps or images of the different ways the intertubes are and can be used. I figured out, finally this Fall, that I not only have to teach my students what to do I have to teach them how to think about what it is that I am showing them to do...

Thoughts?

-A