[lbo-talk] Michaels, Against Diversity

Chris Maisano cgmaisano at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 4 16:28:36 PDT 2009

Shag says: "That he doesn't really mean it and is, underneath it all, just another really pissed off white guy who is exploiting the issue because, while he's certainly not suffering income-wise and has only benefited, actually, from affirmative action and the like, he is just bothered by all the darkies and women in places they shouldn't."

I''m sorry, but this is a rather ridiculous characterization of WBM's position. It strikes me as little more than projection, an ad hominem attack used in an attempt to discredit him. I agree that WBM's rhetorical style can be consciously provocative, but I think his main points should be fairly controversial within the left. The identity politics of the 1970s to the present has resulted in many inarguably good things, but has it resulted in real improvement in the lives of, say, the vast majority of African-Americans living in the Bronx or Baltimore? The fairly obvious answer to this question is no, or at least it seems so to me.

My question about the critique advanced by WBM and Adolph Reed is how different it is from that advanced by a liberal such as William Julius Wilson, who has been making somewhat similar arguments since the late 1970s (as in his books The Declining Significance of Race and The Truly Disadvantaged). If Reed has addressed Wilson's position in a systematic fashion, it would be great if someone could post this to the list. If he hasn't, it would be really interesting to see him do so.