[lbo-talk] Joan Baez of the South dies (Mercedes Sosa)

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 19:57:55 PDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 11:14 PM, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Joan Baez is of Mexican ancestry, btw. I have no idea how or if she is regarded in Mexico.

Since Baez grew in NY and sings in English, I guess she´s got limited reach in Mexico.

My comparison of Sosa with Baez comes from their shared folk roots and human rights activism and progressive political involvement.

It´s 11:40pm and people are still entering the Congress building to give their last goodbye to Mercedes Sosa, that speaks volumes about her popularity down here. She was also very popular in Chile, Brazil and throughout western Europe.

She recorded La Maza with Shakira http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXBze4zysYk

And lately she even made inroads in Israel, singing in Hebrew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI_dYpjwC4A

Not bad for a 74 year old self-titled proud communist!

FC PS: Wait, look what I found... Baez and Sosa... with English subtitles... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wze9r6JvXEY