[lbo-talk] Michaels, Against Diversity

Voyou voyou1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 22:26:24 PDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-04 at 18:32 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2009, at 5:58 PM, Voyou wrote:
>
> > I don't think it is unfair - Michaels's position on racism and sexism
> > really is superficial.
>
> Would you say the same about Adolph Reed, who supports WBM strongly?

I think Reed does what Michaels doesn't, coming up with an understanding of the role of race in contemporary US politics which doesn't depend on the idea of diversity. The critique of diversity is a useful part of coming up with such an understanding, so I can see why Reed would support Michaels. I don't know if support would go the other way, though - my problem with Michaels is not only that he doesn't come up with an alternative analysis of race, he doesn't even seem to think one is necessary. I've just listened to Michaels on your show from yesterday, and what he says seems to confirm this.

--

"The slightly richer ... eat in semi-darkness, preferring

candles to electricity. These candles make me laugh. All the

electricity belongs to the bourgeoisie, yet they eat by

candle-end. They have an unconscious fear of their own

electricity. They are embarrassed, like the sorcerer who has

called up spirits he is unable to control."

-- Vladimir Mayakovsky http://blog.voyou.org/ voyou at voyou.org