[lbo-talk] Michaels, Against Diversity

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 16:42:25 PDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

One
> substantial element in any anti-war movement are pacifist individuals
> and organizations. Could reasonable unity be achieved and maintained
> while upholding a pro-draft position.

I've shared office space with what I believe is the largest explicitly pacifist organization in the United States and attended a few of their events. On questions like this, they fell into two clear camps: those who saw their role as resisting militarism, and those who frankly seemed more interested in currying special favors from it. The former tended to favor increasing the reach of social obligations associated with warfare (conscription, taxation, etc.), while the latter would have been aghast at any such proposals; they wanted to pass conscientious-objector legislation, institute a peace tax fund, etc. specifically to exempt themselves from such obligations! Needless to say, this particular organization never seemed to have much of a coherent strategy.