[lbo-talk] Michaels, Against Diversity

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Oct 5 17:08:18 PDT 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 6:35 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:

> Julio writes: "In effect, anti-racism and anti-imperialism overlap
> almost entirely."
>
> In what way, Julio? I'm thinking of the major anti-imperialist
> movements which emerged in India, Algeria, Vietnam, Cuba, South
> Africa, Palestine and elsewhere in Asia, Africa, and Latin America
> and I'm having a hard time recalling any of them as having equated
> "Western imperialism" with the "white race", which is what your
> comment about "overlap" suggests.

And aside from that, as the Barbara Fields article that Carrol quotes frequently (which deserves frequent quoting - that's not a complaint) argues, the definition of "race" comes after the fact. That is, first you steal the land and resources and labor, then you come up with the "racial" justifications. So to equate the struggle against imperialism with a struggle against racism is to confuse cause and effect.

And, like I said earlier, the IMF is as multicultural as you could ever imagine these days.

Doug