[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed responds to Alan Rudy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 5 19:45:54 PDT 2009

shag carpet bomb wrote:

> At 08:12 PM 10/5/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:
> >I fear this indicates how
> >hegemonic
> >the "doing well by doing good" mindset has become -- people are too
> >comfortably settled into familiar grooves of being on the left by
> >expressing
> >"support" for the right positions without having any bearing on their
> >own
> >daily lives and practice -- e.g., combining e-activism and pc yuppoid
> >consumerism.
>
> wow. if adolph dismisses my critique on these grounds, he can go fuck
> himself with a football bat.

I've always had great respect for Reed, whether agreeing or disagreeing with any particular position. But this focus on the alleged motives or life-style or daily life of what amounts to a whole category of hundreds or thousands of people he does not know has, provisionally, put him in my list of those I do not bother to read. I'll probably modify that. Jerks on one occasion can be profound on other occasions. But this is shameful.

Carrol