[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed responds to Alan Rudy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Oct 5 20:21:27 PDT 2009

Query:

Are writers in this thread treating working class as an identity? Or not?

And if some are not, which oones?

I myself assume that the proposition, X is working class tells us NOTHING whatever about X but only indicates that he/she exists in a certain relationship with capital. Hence I would deny that the phrase, "working class literature," is meaningful. Most of what is so labelled is the literature of a particular STATUS, not a class. As such much of it is of great interest, but to call it "working class" literature is bad politics and bad literary theory.

Carrol