[lbo-talk] second bill of rights

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 07:56:39 PDT 2009

shag carpet bomb saw Moore's Capitalism: a love story tonight. Interesting factoid. Moore shows footage filmed by Roosevelt, a couple of months before he died. Roosevelt was too sick to do his State of the Union address, 1944, in front of cameras. Instead, he did it on the radio. After the addres, he asked reporters to go to a special room to film him outlining a Second Bill of Rights.

^^^^^ CB; Thanks for bringing this, shag. I mentioned FDR's speech and the second bill of rights , bill of economic rights, in a post to LBO-talk back in 1999. See below.

Harper's

CharlesB Mon Sep 13 12:06:48 PDT 1999

Partial History of struggle for full employment_

The famous People's struggles in the era of the Great Depression won a number of economic reforms. Symbolically, the success and highpoint of the historical political surge for full employment (the actualization of the right to a job) in the U.S. can be measured by the fact that in 1944 President Franklin Roosevelt presented to Congress in his State of the Union address an Economic Bill of Rights and said among other things:

(quote) We have accepted, so to speak, a second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of security and prosperity an be established for all -- regardless of station, race or creed -- the right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries of shops or farms or mines of the Nation -- but also to eductation, housing and access to all forms of public facilities and services. (end quote) ("The Right to Earn a Living" by Sam Rosenwein _The Guild Practitioner_ Vol 44, number 2 Spring 1987; see also Roosevelt's State of the Union Message of 1941)

Harper's Charles Brown CharlesB Mon Sep 13 12:06:48 PDT 1999